Wednesday, July 2, 2008

From the Editor: One year down and counting

Jim Nelson

This is my 24th issue as the editor of the Advocate. Or to put it another way, this completes my first year. It has been an exciting time. I have learned a lot about publishing a newspaper, developing stories, and most importantly not editorializing in news stories. Fortunately, I have a highly competent, dedicated, professional staff without whom I never could have gotten the first issue out the door.I describe my job as being an eyewitness to history. I am writing stories and columns that future generations of historians may read and quote as primary and secondary source materials in their efforts to understand the times in which we live.

I attended and have written about conferences and meetings I would otherwise only have read about. I had the opportunity to meet, talk with and interview leaders in the United Methodist church, the church in general, political leaders, and scholars; people I previously only saw from a distance. And I have gotten to travel. At times, on the editorial page I even get to argue with people. I strive to respect everyone’s position, and allow all sides of issues to be heard. I realize those who disagree with me are not evil, and are also striving to be faithful to God.

The positive comments about the Advocate from people at both South and North Georgia conferences were particularly gratifying. Several people commented on the fact I seemed well suited to this position. One person even told me she had just said to her husband that I finally looked happy. All of which is nice, but it does make me wonder how I appeared to everyone before.Having been a preacher for 18 years prior to becoming an editor, people often ask me if I miss being in the local church. Sure, some of it anyway. Like any job there are always some things you will never miss. I always said I was a good preacher, a really good teacher, and an excellent administrator, but I was only a mediocre pastor. Consequently, the one thing I miss most is being able to preach every Sunday. I have always been a public speaker, even as a child. I was the one in grade school that had the lead in plays. In the Army, I was the one who stood at the microphone and explained to the people what was happening. I was a radio DJ, and did voice over work for videos.

My undergraduate degree was in Speech/Theater. I even taught Speech Communication at Ohio Wesleyan University, and at what is now Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah. I was the primary spokesperson and speechwriter for the Cincinnati Bicentennial Celebration back in 1988. I was a President and Division Governor in Toastmasters and winner of several speech contests. And, the one thing I loved about campaigning was being able to speak to large groups of people.I have always been much better one on a thousand than I have one on one. And I have always been a better speaker than I am a writer, but at least as a writer I still get to communicate.

I am looking forward to my second year as Editor of the Wesleyan Christian Advocate. I hope it will be a time of transition from primarily a print publication to one with a viable presence on the Internet. Finally, if you need someone to fill in on a Sunday morning, or to speak at a Wednesday Night Supper, or other event in your church or community, please give me a call.

No comments: