Saturday, November 10, 2007

From the Editor: I’m still speaking out

By Jim Nelson

United Methodist Student day is the Sunday following Thanksgiving when most students are home from college and able to attend the worship service at their home church.Forty years ago as a Methodist scholarship recipient attending Ohio Wesleyan University, I was one of five students asked to speak at my home church on what was then Methodist Student Day.My family joined that church in 1952 when we moved into the neighborhood. For 15 years I attended Sunday school classes, was a member and officer of MYF, assisted in worship services, and worked around the church. The people in that congregation had become like family to me.
It was 1967. I spoke against the war, and in support of civil rights. I quoted scriptures and used what they had taught me in Sunday school over the last 15 years. After the service, we stood up front so the congregation could speak to us. Only one person spoke to me. Even the pastor, who had just been appointed, did not speak to me. After several weeks of being shunned, I stop attending that church or any other church for 20 years.Although I lost my faith in people, I never lost my faith in God. I still read the scriptures, spent time in prayer every day, and knew that God loved me. I still spoke out for what I believed. Yet, I wondered why they were so angry when I spoke about what they had taught me? They taught me Jesus was about love, compassion, forgiveness, and even sacrifice; that all people are equal in the sight of God.
After graduation, I enlisted in the Army and became an Airborne Infantry Officer. I served nearly three years on active duty, followed by another 10 in the National Guard and Reserves. I may be anti-war, but I believe in the idea and ideals of America.I have always tried, although not always successfully, to be faithful to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I try to use Jesus’s teachings when I preach and/or write, and as you might suspect, I still make some people angry.Recently I saw the movie “Rendition.” Admittedly, the producers had a political agenda. They, like Sen. John McCain, believe torture is immoral and ineffective. McCain, one of the few people with first-hand knowledge, said, “It’s not about them; it’s about us.” It IS about us, particularly those of us who are Christians.
In light of Judge Michael Mukasey’s confirmation hearings to be Attorney General, I asked several people, “Which teaching of Jesus justifies torture?” I understand the political rationale and our national security interests. I understand how secular humanists and those or other faiths can support it. But I am a Christian, a follower of Jesus. Which commandment of His justifies “water-boarding” to get information? As yet, no one has answered my question.Jesus said, “Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you.” And in terms of preserving our way of life he said, “Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.” As a Christian I would rather be arrested, persecuted and killed by an unjust government while remaining faithful to the teachings of Jesus, than to live by unjustly treating others to save my life in this world.Some would say I haven’t learned much from that Methodist Student Day in 1967.

No comments: